Yes, we are approaching that time of the year when every meal will be rich, flavorful and hearty. Thanksgiving is right around the corner. What this also means is most likely you will ditch your year-long healthy diet in favor of turkey, pies, and wine. Don’t like the sound of that? If you are committed to maintaining a healthy diet, learn our hacks to stay on track during the festive season:
- One big meal a day: Yes, we know holidays are all about indulgence. However, concentrate on having one big meal in the day instead of three. Go easy on the other two meals. If you can’t, we strongly suggest portion control. Do not load up your plates and watch what you are eating carefully.
- Whisk up a veggie gravy: Gravy is a Thanksgiving essential, but it doesn’t have to be loaded with a ton of fat. Whisk up a veggie gravy, that’s still as tasty but without a ton of fat. We bet your favorite veggies can make a perfectly flavorful gravy that can be draped over mashed potatoes minus the saturated fat Plus, you will be thankful for eating the vegetables.
- Go Brown: The humble bread is part of every Thanksgiving feast, and so are all the calories that come with it. To cut down on all the calories from bread – go easy on the butter even better replace it with a healthy oil – coconut or olive and use whole grains.
- Grill Easy: Oil thick marinades are the most significant source of unnecessary calories when grilling. Avoid using them generously instead use zesty lemon or orange if you care to be experimental.
- “Cut the Mas”: Finally act on the old age suggestion of adding cauliflower to your potatoes. Doesn’t sound appetizing? You can’t be further than the truth. This small tip already has many fans, and you will be one too once you try it. Cauliflower has far lesser starch than potatoes, and it retains the unbeatable richness of mashed potatoes with a lighter texture and more minerals.
Have a great tip that should be here? Comment below to let us know.
Planning a big Thanksgiving feast? Leave the task of grocery shopping to Burpy personal shoppers.
Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday, nothing beats the fun of having a turkey meal with your family, friends and loved ones. If you are hosting the family this year, we totally get the anxiety you must be going through, after all, you want to make sure everything is perfect.
Here is a roundup of hacks that will ensure you are an awesome Thanksgiving host.:
- Plan: We are sure you are not surprised to see this on the list. Make sure you decide the flow of the dinner flawlessly. Try not to be experimental stick with the tried and tested rules of hosting.
- Keep a timeline: Have a timeline of your to-do list ready and start working backward on it. It’s easy to lose track of time when we are busy and you don’t want last minute overload.
- Deal with your grocery list: Schedule grocery shopping early. Thanksgiving is the busiest time of the year for grocery stores, you really don’t want to deal with the stress of shopping unprepared. So, get on this task early. If you totally want to avoid the busy aisles of a grocery store use online grocery store – Burpy to save time
- Non- food prep: We often tend to keep the non-food prep towards the end, but we recommend taking charge of this piece early. Remember you would need the silverware, cutlery, glasses, napkins and more. So, no harm in checking this off your list early. Set the table early, probably 2-3 hours before your guests arrive.
- Have the wine/cocktail ready: Keep the wine in the refrigerator or a pitcher of your favorite go-to cocktail ready. Pour it for the guests as soon as they arrive, if everyone has a drink in their hand fun conversations are sure to happen.
- Get the turkey ready early: Some people are not in favor of preparing the star dish of the meal ready day early if you are not one of them, we highly recommend getting it ready a day early. Believe us this will save you tonnes of time since you will have a lot to get out of your way on Thanksgiving Day.
- Keep light appetizers: An American consumes 4500 calories on Thanksgiving Day – owing to the large meal. Really don’t stress over the appetizers with the large meal.
Have an awesome tip to host the Thanksgiving dinner? Share with us by commenting below.
Forgot something on your grocery shopping list for the Thanksgiving? Order now using Burpy.