Labor Day honors the contributions of workers to our economy and social fabric, that’s why we believe it should be stress-free for everyone. After all, you have earned Labor Day.
Whether you planning the last barbeque of the season or a simple meal for the family try these two simple recipes from Burpy to breeze through the long weekend :
Watermelon Feta Skewers
- About 40 (1-inch) pieces cubed watermelon
- About 20 (1-inch) pieces cubed feta cheese
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- Set your grill to high heat. Thread a piece of watermelon, a piece of feta and a second piece of watermelon onto a 6-inch skewer. Repeat with the remaining pieces of watermelon and feta.
- Once the grill is hot, brush the skewers on all sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Grill until lightly charred on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and cool slightly.
- To serve, mound 1 cup arugula onto each plate and top with 5 skewers per plate. Drizzle each salad with 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped basil. Serve immediately.
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeded
- 2 limes, halved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set the grill to high heat (or heat a grill pan over high heat). Clean and lightly oil the grates.
- Working in batches, cook the mangoes, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeños and limes on the grill until nicely charred, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the ingredients from the grill and let cool slightly. Dice the mangoes, tomatoes and red onion. Mince the jalapeño.
- In a medium bowl, toss all the diced fruit and veggies together, then add the garlic and cilantro and toss well to combine. Squeeze the grilled limes over the mixture, and season with cayenne, salt and pepper. Give it a final toss, and serve.