Grocery shopping can be an overwhelming weekly mission. You make numerous significant decisions about the nutritional requirements of your family during what seems like the most insignificant task of the week – grocery shopping.
You are often bombarded with a plethora of choices at grocery stores – sugar-free vs regular desserts? Gluten-free vs whole wheat? GMO vs Non-GMO foods? frozen vs fresh? One big question we all can relate to is organic is really better than conventional options? Let’s understand.
There is an increasing amount of research available online that clearly explains why organic food is better. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) certification mandates that for any food to be called organic it should be grown without chemical pesticides and be free of GMOs. Hence, it is not just a fancy label, but a clear indication of how the produce or product has been developed. This is also the reason why organic food is often more expensive. Here are some foods that you should consider buying organic-
- Strawberries: They are constantly ranked as top food contaminated with pesticides. Strawberries have a short shelf life, hence even if you store them in the best way possible they don’t last more than 7-8 days. Consider washing them with a mix of water and apple cider winner and try investing in organic strawberries.
- Apples: They are often highly contaminated because of the pesticide spraying process. You often think washing is enough to remove the pesticides from the outer layer of the fruit but it is not enough. Switch to organic apples and see the difference.
- Grapes: Naturally sweet and high in vitamins, eating grapes has several benefits. Unfortunately, they are also contaminated with strong pesticides. Wash them thoroughly before eating and select organic grapes over conventional options.
- Spinach: If you are a salad lover, spinach will inevitably find its way in your kitchen. However, do you know a significant 97% conventional spinach sample contains pesticide residue? It can be detrimental to your health in the long run.
- Tomatoes: This humble produce is often part of every meal in the household. Since it is practically used in every dish it is important to make sure you use the healthiest and most chemical-free option available and therefore we recommend organic tomatoes highly.
- Dairy: If you are a home that loves its smoothies, cheese toast, and Greek yogurt. We recommend reaching out for organic dairy supplies – milk, cheese, yogurt,eggs. Certified organic dairy means the product is growth hormones free and cows did not receive any antibiotics.
If you are on a budget, reaching out for organic options can be a tricky task. We suggest starting small before introducing any big changes.
Think we should include something in our list? Tell us by commenting below.
Order your organic food supplies with Burpy.