Dinner is the most important factor in aiding your weight loss journey. Traditionally people believe they should not consume carbs after 6.00 pm. This is not entirely true, if you are not sleeping until 10.00 pm, can you think of staying hungry for 4 hours? Won’t that be more unhealthy than consuming a healthy snack?
Yes, the carb – protein ratio is central in defining your health. Hence, the goal should be to have a protein rich dinner than skipping it altogether. Here are some simple solutions that will help you define a healthy dinner-
- Say no to starch: There should be no room for starchy food post 7.00 pm in your diet. What does that mean? You have to bid goodbye to Rice, Bread, Potatoes, etc. etc. Any food containing starch is high in carbohydrates and should be avoided in the dinner for a well-meaning diet.
- Yes, to Fiber: Follow the rule of eating 2/3rd of fibrous vegetables in every meal. Fiber has the unique quality of delivering essential vitamins and nutrients with low calories to you. Increase the intake of fruits, seasonal produce and legumes. Find your favorite source of fiber and to ensure you are able to follow-through.
- High protein: Go high on protein. This means you can load up on healthy sources of protein such as fish, meats, and beans. This is by far the simplest rule to follow for weight watchers.
- Choose a healthier cooking method: No food is unhealthy but certainly some are healthier than others. What this means is that our cooking method plays a central role in making our meals healthy. For example – grilled chicken is a far healthier option than fried chicken. Hence, try playing well with your cooking methods.
Healthy living journey calls for a lifestyle change and should be seen as a slow and steady process rather than expecting miraculous results in short period of time.
The new year has started and so has the resolution to get fit for many of you. To achieve your fittest self, your workouts must be accompanied by a healthy and nutritional diet. This means eating better, on-time and nutritious food. With some simple diet changes you can introduce yourself to better health:
- Timely meals: We are all playing catch up during the day, this means nutrition often takes a back seat. Timely meals are an important aspect of maintaining ideal health. The next time you reach for your breakfast oats make sure it’s at 7 am not noon.
- Small portions: Eating your meals in a smaller plate is the easiest way to attain better health. According to a study by Cornell University, people tend to consume lesser food this way. For weight watcher’s portion control is key, aim to buy and consume single – serve portions. You will not only consume less but save money.
- Increase water intake: Water is essential for life. The next time you want to reach out for an extra latte replace it with water and see your health boost. One should consume at least 7-8 glasses of water every day, it does sound simple but most of us don’t even consume 4 glasses of water in a day. Don’t believe us? Check it yourself
- Veggies, fruits and some more: Every season brings a bumper crop of produce – rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber and more. All your meals must have a portion of fresh veggies and fruits. The aim should be to have equal amounts of proteins and veggies during the day. The greens in your diet they help aid better health, heart, and immunity.
- Track your meals: We are not big on calorie counting, it makes the process of getting healthier a tedious and boring task. However, it is important to be mindful of what we put into our mouth. Our body reflects what we feed it and hence understating our eating patterns by writing them down can go a big way in supporting our health, make better meal plans and more.
Make better health choices in 2017 and leave the task of delivering your grocery essentials to Burpy.
We often go to the grocery store without an aim of picking up nutrition. Eat healthy food requires deliberate decisions and meal planning hence should be at the top of our lists. Here are some reasons why should make meal-planning a priority in your household:
- Enhance your nutrition: By taking the time to plan your meals, you can aim to have well- balanced and nutritious meals during the week. The practice will ensure you are in better control of what you’re feeding your body. A balanced meal plan will help you curb cravings and ensure a healthier body and mind.
- Make and stick to healthier choices: Have you been so hungry that you ended up eating a lot more than you anticipated? We have all been there. The reason why most people end up overeating and unhealthy is because we do not make conscious and informed decisions about what we feed our body. Meal planning is the most effective way to resolve this problem.
- Complement your fitness routine: If you are friends with anybody who is trying to lose weight, you are most likely aware of the fact that meal-planning tops the chart in their to-do lists. Meal planning can help you control your calorie intake in an effective manner.
- Save money and time: Meal planning will prevent you from throwing produce and ingredients lying in the fridge. Also, if you are ready with your grocery list, you are most likely to get out of the grocery store in less than 30 minutes. In the long run, meal planning will save you tons of money and time.
- Finally, avoid stress: We all know the stress of preparing meals last minute. You can bid goodbye to stress finally with meal planning.
Make meal planning an important part of your lifestyle today. Order your groceries from Burpy.
Autumn is known for bringing a bumper crop of fruits and vegetables. The cool temperature makes it appealing to enter the kitchen and experiment with the best the season has to offer. One can play with a whole slew of seasonal produce to bring intense flavors and substantial textures come alive.
From succulent pears and crunchy apples to nourishing greens, your options are plenty. Make the most of what you will find in the season with a comprehensive fall produce guide from Burpy:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Winter Squash
Although some fruits and vegetables are available year-round, they’re more flavorful from September to November and thus should be part of your meal plans.
Just like us, we are certain you spend many hours in the week, grocery shopping and making meals for the family. We want you to design efficient grocery lists and make smarter eating decisions. Whether you are an in-store or online grocery shopper, here are some 101’s from none other than Burpy personal shoppers to help you make intelligent choices:
- Plan weekly meals: Given today’s sporadic lifestyle we all suffer from an all prevalent phenomena – eating out. Hence, our first advice to you is to be realistic about the number of meals at home. Accommodate your groceries to fit your busy schedule to avoid wastage.
- Prepare a personal grocery list: Empty refrigerator calls for a trip to the nearest grocery store.Sometimes we tend to go unprepared thereby buying food we don’t necessarily need. Always take time to make your personal grocery list before you actually buy your daily essentials.
- Stick to your list: It’s easy to be tempted when you are surrounded by delicious goodies. The trick to efficient grocery shopping is to buy only what you need or aleast try and stick to the list. Online grocery shopping is one of the most effective solution to “tempt-buying”
- Be size sensible: You might think you are getting more value for your money when you buy a gallon of milk v/s quart of milk. However, if you’re investing in larger quantities that will be used only a couple of times a day, the product will most likely spoil before it is finished. Hence, invest wisely.
- Hit the store early: Always venture out for your grocery shopping trips early in the day, this will ensure you have access to the freshest stocks, produce and meats.
- Stock less perishable items: No one likes a midweek grocery store trip, but be cognizant of how much fresh produce and fruits you can stock in your refrigerator. These items have a shelve life of 3-4 days; hence buy only what you need.
- Decide on a weekly budget: If you wish to optimize your weekly grocery shopping exercise, settle on a weekly spend that strikes a balance between your nutritional needs and luxury eats.
- Don’t go hungry for grocery shopping: This might sound funny to a lot of you, but it is physiologically proven that a buyer tends to spend a lot more when hungry. So, our word is never go hungry to a grocery store or even better use Burpy to stick to your grocery list.
If you have a smart-tip of your own to share with our readers, don’t forget to comment below.
Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away and although every year the meal is expected, the planning of your dinner can sometimes be stressful and unpredicted. To calm your nerves here are a few simple steps to help your Thanksgiving meal go as smoothly as possible.
Step 1: Plan ahead!
Now is the perfect time to plan your Thanksgiving. Create a to-do list and prioritize from there. If you are expecting a large crowd of friends and family ask about food allergies or any other food preferences. I suggest creating a cooking list of meals that can be made ahead of time, those that can be frozen, and some that should be cooked the day of. Don’t forget about delegating! It’s okay to ask for help and it will give you more kitchen space and time.
Step 2: Timing is Everything!
After you have your to-do list, you now have a good idea of what and when you need to cook certain dishes. I recommend shopping for non-perishables about a week ahead, and perishables should be bought a day or two before the big day. While on the topic of timing, cooking the turkey is the most time-sensitive dish of the day. Begin to thaw your turkey a few days before and have several hours dedicated to prepping it.
Step 3: Table Settings
Whether you are serving the meal buffet style or have specific table settings, make sure there are enough utensils, glasses, and plates for the guests. If you are feeling creative I suggest checking out some fun ideas on Good Housekeeping http://bit.ly/1xRyoy8.
Step 4: Be Thankful!
You have created a beautiful Thanksgiving meal. Now is time to relax and enjoy the food, family, and friends!
Meal planning can be somewhat time consuming, but will save you money, cut down on food waste, and can be fun if you enjoy trying new dishes. These are some straightforward recipes that I’ve enjoyed playing around with. I set this meal plan up for two people, but if you’re cooking for yourself you can cut some of the recipes in half. Also, if you don’t want to cook during the work week, you can make two recipes on Sunday, then eat leftovers for the rest of the week. One of the problems I’ve encounter when planning meals is when I spontaneously decide to eat out with some friends. In fact, I rarely execute the meal plan perfectly. Freeze some leftovers if you find yourself deviating-this will cut down on how often you have to cook and will reduce your food waste.
Photo via http://healthygallatin.org/
1. Eight hours of consecutive sleep.
Who doesn’t appreciate waking up from a full 8 hours of sleep? Turns out the belief that we need 7-8 hours of consecutive sleep is a myth. Read More…