The pantry can easily be called the heaven of a kitchen. Have the task of organizing your dream pantry? Here are 7 seven tips that will help you get started:
- Clear containers are your friends We understand the temptation of not paying enough attention to this task. Of course, you can always open the container to find its contents. However, believe us you don’t want to waste time doing this. Find a storage solution for your bulk in items such as grains, cereals, rice, lentils, nuts etc.
- Label, label, label – Neatly label your storage containers. This can prove to be a tiresome task but you will be thankful for the time you invest finishing this task. Labels mean never wondering about the contents of a container again.
- Group like with like – What we mean is – sort by category. Start with simple groups like – grains, snacks, breakfast supplies.
- 10 minutes rule – Follow this rule religiously one a week. Essentially spend 10 minutes in a week cleaning your pantry. This need not be a deep clean task – just wipe down the pantry shelves, take a stock of supplies, toss out the expired items.
- Put kids snacks on the bottom shelf: Snack items for children should be ideally stored on the bottom pantry shelf, This makes it easy for them to help themselves without being prone to accidents or creating a mess in the pantry.
- Innovate with household items to create more storage space in your pantry: Make use of crates, pencil holders, racks to organize the pantry meticulously.
- Assess your pantry – Once you have organized your pantry don’t forget to assess it every week. This will ensure you are not buying more than what you need and wasting. This will also help you in meal planning.
Have a great pantry organizing tip of your own? Share with us by commenting below.
Get your pantry supplies delivered to your doorstep using Burpy.
Grocery shopping also means reading the food labels diligently to get the maximum nutrition from your food. Let’s be honest most of us don’t pay attention to this task, some of us are also guilty of completely ignoring it. If you are committed to the health of your family, we recommend you make label reading a priority before welcoming any food product into the kitchen. Here is what will help-
- Every packaged food will have a nutritional facts table at the back. The table will provide information on – Calories, Fat, Saturated fat, Trans fat, protein, cholesterol, carbohydrate, Fiber, Sugar, Vitamins, Calcium, and Iron. Essentially an overview on all the food nutrients.
- Watch out for the serving size, it refers to the standardized amount to help you compare the nutrition content of various foods. What this means is if you eat the exact serving size listed on the Nutrition Facts Table you will obtain the precise amount of calories and nutrients that are listed.
- Pay attention to calories on the Nutrition Facts Table. The listed calories tell you much energy you will get per serving of the food.
- Percent Daily Value (DV) on the Nutrition Facts label is a guide to the nutrients in one serving of food. DVs are based on a 2,000-calorie diet for healthy adults. For example, if the label lists 7 percent for iron, it means that one serving provides 7 percent of the iron your body needs to function in a healthy manner each day.
- Try to get more of the healthy nutrients from your foods. Healthy nutrients include Iron, Calcium, Fiber, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C
- Try to get less of these nutrients from your food – Fat, saturated fat, trans fat, sodium, cholesterol. Don’t get us wrong, these nutrients are essential for the body, completely eliminating them from the diet can cause major health concerns. However, we must be extra cautious of the amount per serving for these nutrients.
This is a beginner’s guide to reading food labels. Make sure if you haven’t been already reading the food labels till now you start today.
Think we forget something important about reading the food labels? Let us know by commenting below.
Get your grocery supplies delivered the same day using Burpy.
Every household spends significant time grocery shopping each week, especially mom’s who spend most of their weekend grocery shopping. Online grocery shopping has changed the way grocery shopping has been done forever.This means we can now simply order the groceries online and spend time doing things we love. This is a lovely convenience but since we are looking at our kitchen essentials online, we are bound to miss out on nutritional aspects of the food.
Here is a simple guide that will help moms and everyone else understands what to look for while picking up groceries online:
- Organics: Organic food simply means that the food has had less exposure to chemicals and therefore is a healthier option to consume. One can always turn to organic options for food that is consumed in larger quantities at home such as – milk, produce, eggs.
- Unprocessed Food: Unprocessed food is always more expensive than the processed food but also a better option to replace refined, heavily processed foods from the diet.
- Food Labels: It is important to always read the food labels of the items that will be stocked in your kitchen. We all are wired to pick up the first thing that comes in our hand without reading the labels. More so when we are shopping groceries online. Always make it a point that you are familiar with the ingredients that form an item.
- Produce and Fruits: Greens and fruits should be part of your kid’s meal every day and hence make sure they are part of your online grocery shopping cart.
Think we missed out on something?Don’t forget to mention it by commenting below.Have your own grocery to pickup? Order your groceries online without leaving your home using Burpy this weekend.