Getting dinner on the table during the week can be a difficult task. Meal-planning and grocery shopping are just the first steps in the whole process. Preparing healthy dinner while you are juggling a busy schedule can be nearly impossible. Whether it’s just soup or salad or a three-course meal we are sure these hacks will help make the task easy:
- Use the Microwave: Often used for reheating food, microwave can be a real-life savior if you are looking to save time. Let’s say you want to bake potatoes or veggies, this task could take about 45 minutes in the oven compared to 20 minutes in the microwave. We think that’s a significant time to have for yourself :-). Agree?
- Invest in prepped vegetables. Grocery stores are full of them, you can get about any vegetable on your list in a prepped state now –mushroom, carrots, broccoli florets and more. You can also find pre-washed spinach. You will save loads of time.
- Salad mix can be your friend: If you are a salad eater, you can find a range of salad mixes in the grocery store. You don’t need to wash or chop. Believe us you won’t regret investing your time stocking these. Plus, you can try a whole new range every week.
- Frozen veggies and meals: Frozen vegetables and meals can come to your rescue every once in a while. Especially if you are cooking for one or two people. You can use them in soups and dinner preparations alike.
- Marinate in the morning: If you are big on marinating, we suggest you spend five minutes taking care of this task first thing in the morning. Once you are back home from work your meat will be ready to be in the oven and ready in no time with amazing flavors.
Have a tip of your own that will make dinner preparation easy. Share with us by commenting below.
Need groceries? Order now using Burpy.
Unless you are superhuman, you like many of us look forward to the weekend. The definition of a weekend has changed for each of us. It is becoming less and less recreational and more and more about finally catching up with abandoned errands. However, this weekend we want you to make yourself a priority and upgrade it like a boss. Here are five things you can do to get started.
- Yoga: You probably already know about the benefits of exercising. We all make a resolution to eat healthily and exercise as the year begins but our resolve does not last as days go by. If going to the gym seems like a task, get active doing Yoga. All you need is a mat and small space in your home to get started or and believe us the benefits are many. If you are feeling particularly adventurous – make friends with nature and practice yoga outdoors.
- Picnic: Make memories, gather you family and finally have a picnic that’s been long pending on your family’s to-do list.
- Volunteer: No rolling eyes! We know weekend means finally time for yourself but there is something great about volunteering. It gives you a chance to meet new people while giving back to the community. It’s a win- win. Look for an animal rescue, adult tutoring or any other cause close to your heart. Get started.
- Make a delicious meal: Let’s face it, cooking is a chore we all get by every day. As time goes by we all spend less and less time thinking about how we want to cook and more and more time thinking about what we should cook quickly. Make a Big deal about one meal this weekend. Take your pick – breakfast, lunch or dinner but make a delicious meal this weekend.
- Skip the grocery store: Finally, skip going to the grocery store this weekend and try an online delivery service that can make your life easy and allow you to spend time with your family and loved ones. We recommend Burpy for obvious reasons.
Have an activity that can make someone’s weekend great. Don’t forget to share it by commenting below. Happy Weekend.
Today’s lifestyle takes a lot away from us. We are always busy, always running to the next thing. To make things easier for millennials, we have listed dinner kitchen hacks that sure to ease their life significantly –
- Meal planning – Make this a chore, like everything you do, this should be part of your weekly routine. If you decide what you want to eat at 7.00 pm in the evening chances are you will be driven by your need to satisfy your hunger and not for meeting health goals. Plan your meals on the weekends, before you commence grocery shopping.
- Meal preparation – On an average, a meal takes anywhere between 30-40 minutes to cook whereas the meal preparation takes an hour. Invest time preparing for your meals much ahead so that you don’t waste time every day on this.
- Baking is your friend - Always looks for recipes that require minimum supervision. Hence, baking is really your friend. Look for recipes that are simple and can be baked, they will be healthier and will utilize less oil.
- Go with theme nights - Have a pre-decided theme for each night – soup night, salad night, and pasta night. Believe us your life will be much easier.
- Plan for leftovers – Chances are you have leftover food during every meal. Sometimes you forget about it whereas other times you use the same food for lunch the next day. Have a plan for the leftover food unless you prefer throwing it.
- Stock your pantry right – Your pantry is your cooking heaven. Make sure you always stock it right, you don’t wish to be caught unarmed at 8.00 pm in the night. Refer to our pantry guide here.
Have a really good hack that has helped you over the years? Share it with us by commenting below.
In a few hours, you will be on a date with your Valentine. This day holds a special place in everyone’s heart. So whatever you have planned for tonight, be certain to make it memorable. Here are some simple things that won’t cost a fortune, but still hit the mark:
- Be on time: Make sure you are on time for your date. If possible be early. Nobody likes a latecomer, especially on a Valentine’s Day. This is also a great way of showing you care about their time.
- Don’t show up empty-handed: Flowers, chocolates, and wines do sound a tad bit conventional but they never really grow old. Make the effort to pick your valentine’s favorite flowers, chocolates, wines.
- Make a reservation: Now the chances are you have already done this but if you haven’t you MUST. Valentine’s day is particularly busy for restaurants, having to wait for hours to be seated might not be exactly how you want to spend your Valentines
- Try a new cuisine or wine: Valentine’s day is the perfect time to try something new. Every restaurant in the town comes out with a dedicated menu for this occasion. We are sure your Valentine is more likely to try something new on this day.
- Surprise them with a love note – You don’t need to be a famous writer to express how you feel with words. No matter what you write, we guarantee your valentine will appreciate this gesture.We know we would.
- Dance: You may not be a great dancer, but every woman loves to dance with her partner. Turn on a song that reminds you of your wedding or your first date and reminisce about those memories.
Share how spent your Valentine by commenting below.
Dinner is the most important factor in aiding your weight loss journey. Traditionally people believe they should not consume carbs after 6.00 pm. This is not entirely true, if you are not sleeping until 10.00 pm, can you think of staying hungry for 4 hours? Won’t that be more unhealthy than consuming a healthy snack?
Yes, the carb – protein ratio is central in defining your health. Hence, the goal should be to have a protein rich dinner than skipping it altogether. Here are some simple solutions that will help you define a healthy dinner-
- Say no to starch: There should be no room for starchy food post 7.00 pm in your diet. What does that mean? You have to bid goodbye to Rice, Bread, Potatoes, etc. etc. Any food containing starch is high in carbohydrates and should be avoided in the dinner for a well-meaning diet.
- Yes, to Fiber: Follow the rule of eating 2/3rd of fibrous vegetables in every meal. Fiber has the unique quality of delivering essential vitamins and nutrients with low calories to you. Increase the intake of fruits, seasonal produce and legumes. Find your favorite source of fiber and to ensure you are able to follow-through.
- High protein: Go high on protein. This means you can load up on healthy sources of protein such as fish, meats, and beans. This is by far the simplest rule to follow for weight watchers.
- Choose a healthier cooking method: No food is unhealthy but certainly some are healthier than others. What this means is that our cooking method plays a central role in making our meals healthy. For example – grilled chicken is a far healthier option than fried chicken. Hence, try playing well with your cooking methods.
Healthy living journey calls for a lifestyle change and should be seen as a slow and steady process rather than expecting miraculous results in short period of time.