Cereals are a breakfast staple in every household. Often our mornings begin with them and hence we rely a great deal on them to provide us with our daily nutritional requirements. It is, therefore, critical that we pay attention to what we are choosing for us and our family. The next time you are in the cereal aisle of your favorite store, ensure you are paying attention to the following:
- There are many flavors to try from in the cereal aisle, our top recommendation is a cereal that is labeled 100% whole grain. Stay away from cereals that say ‘made with whole grains’. Whole grains should always be at the top of the ingredient list, being one the ingredients won’t suffice.
- Look for a cereal that provides at least 5 grams of fiber per serving and 3 grams of protein per serving. Fiber helps improve digestion, in turn, keeping your skin healthy while protein helps you feel fuller than eating carbohydrates alone.
- Do not ignore the sugar limit in the cereal. A good rule is to keep it under 8 grams. Fruit based cereals most likely will have higher sugar content, but always pay attention to keep it under 10 grams.
- Stay clear from cereals that with added dried fruits, they often contain higher preservatives and have high sugar content.
- Pay close attention to the fat content of the cereal. Most cereals are low in fat, However, some often contain more fat due to the use of hydrogenated oils.
- Sodium level in the cereal should be ideally under 180 milligrams per serving.
- One of the most important factor in making a cereal healthy is the choice of milk, always try to use low-fat or non-fat milk. Whole milk and chocolate milk can be used once in a while but should be avoided for everyday consumption.
Have an interesting cereal fact that we missed? Share with us by commenting below.
Get your favorite cereal delivered at your doorstep using Burpy.