Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday, nothing beats the fun of having a turkey meal with your family, friends and loved ones. If you are hosting the family this year, we totally get the anxiety you must be going through, after all, you want to make sure everything is perfect.
Here is a roundup of hacks that will ensure you are an awesome Thanksgiving host.:
- Plan: We are sure you are not surprised to see this on the list. Make sure you decide the flow of the dinner flawlessly. Try not to be experimental stick with the tried and tested rules of hosting.
- Keep a timeline: Have a timeline of your to-do list ready and start working backward on it. It’s easy to lose track of time when we are busy and you don’t want last minute overload.
- Deal with your grocery list: Schedule grocery shopping early. Thanksgiving is the busiest time of the year for grocery stores, you really don’t want to deal with the stress of shopping unprepared. So, get on this task early. If you totally want to avoid the busy aisles of a grocery store use online grocery store – Burpy to save time
- Non- food prep: We often tend to keep the non-food prep towards the end, but we recommend taking charge of this piece early. Remember you would need the silverware, cutlery, glasses, napkins and more. So, no harm in checking this off your list early. Set the table early, probably 2-3 hours before your guests arrive.
- Have the wine/cocktail ready: Keep the wine in the refrigerator or a pitcher of your favorite go-to cocktail ready. Pour it for the guests as soon as they arrive, if everyone has a drink in their hand fun conversations are sure to happen.
- Get the turkey ready early: Some people are not in favor of preparing the star dish of the meal ready day early if you are not one of them, we highly recommend getting it ready a day early. Believe us this will save you tonnes of time since you will have a lot to get out of your way on Thanksgiving Day.
- Keep light appetizers: An American consumes 4500 calories on Thanksgiving Day – owing to the large meal. Really don’t stress over the appetizers with the large meal.
Have an awesome tip to host the Thanksgiving dinner? Share with us by commenting below.
Forgot something on your grocery shopping list for the Thanksgiving? Order now using Burpy.
- Nuts: Nuts are excellent for health and are proven to promote the well-being of the immune system. They are versatile and can be had alone, in the salads, smoothies, and help one live longer. They have long shelf life and an absolute must-have for a vegan.
- Vegan Milk: There are an umpteen number of choices for vegans when it comes to milk. Coconut milk is rich in fiber and B vitamins, soymilk is loaded with protein, and almond milk is free of artery-clogging cholesterol and saturated fat. Make a choice that matches your taste
- Pasta: We all know it is delicious and wholesome. It should be in every healthy pantry but for vegans, it is a must. Choose whole grain or eggless varieties to whip up scrumptious easy to cook meals.
- Beans: The market is flooded with a variety of beans. Whether canned or dry they are rich in antioxidants, fiber, and protein. Black beans, red beans or chickpeas they are all great source for vegans to meet their nutritional requirements.
- Quinoa: The magical quinoa is gluten-free and contains an abundance of protein with all nine essential amino acids. They are naturally tasteful and can be part of stews, salads or curries
Grocery shopping also means reading the food labels diligently to get the maximum nutrition from your food. Let’s be honest most of us don’t pay attention to this task, some of us are also guilty of completely ignoring it. If you are committed to the health of your family, we recommend you make label reading a priority before welcoming any food product into the kitchen. Here is what will help-
- Every packaged food will have a nutritional facts table at the back. The table will provide information on – Calories, Fat, Saturated fat, Trans fat, protein, cholesterol, carbohydrate, Fiber, Sugar, Vitamins, Calcium, and Iron. Essentially an overview on all the food nutrients.
- Watch out for the serving size, it refers to the standardized amount to help you compare the nutrition content of various foods. What this means is if you eat the exact serving size listed on the Nutrition Facts Table you will obtain the precise amount of calories and nutrients that are listed.
- Pay attention to calories on the Nutrition Facts Table. The listed calories tell you much energy you will get per serving of the food.
- Percent Daily Value (DV) on the Nutrition Facts label is a guide to the nutrients in one serving of food. DVs are based on a 2,000-calorie diet for healthy adults. For example, if the label lists 7 percent for iron, it means that one serving provides 7 percent of the iron your body needs to function in a healthy manner each day.
- Try to get more of the healthy nutrients from your foods. Healthy nutrients include Iron, Calcium, Fiber, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C
- Try to get less of these nutrients from your food – Fat, saturated fat, trans fat, sodium, cholesterol. Don’t get us wrong, these nutrients are essential for the body, completely eliminating them from the diet can cause major health concerns. However, we must be extra cautious of the amount per serving for these nutrients.
This is a beginner’s guide to reading food labels. Make sure if you haven’t been already reading the food labels till now you start today.
Think we forget something important about reading the food labels? Let us know by commenting below.
Get your grocery supplies delivered the same day using Burpy.
Hot dogs are a must have a staple at every summer BBQ. On the National Hot Dog day. Here are fun facts about Hotdogs!
- Hot dogs are not just American favorites, they also originated in the US. Sausages themselves are from Germany, but it was an American genius who thought about putting them in a bun.
- The origin of the word hot dog still remains a mystery. There are several theories but not a clear one yet.
- Selling hot dogs at a baseball game dates back to 1880s. Hence, it’s no surprise that baseball fans are the biggest hot dog consumers.
- Mustard sauce is the most popular hot dog topping followed by ketchup.
- Hotdogs have traveled to space – NASA has approved hot dogs as a regular item on Apollo moon flights, Skylab missions, and space shuttle flights. Phew!!
- New Yorkers eat the most hot dogs, more than any other city in the country.
Have an interesting fact about hot dogs that we missed mentioning here. Share it with us.
Get the supplies you need to make a hot dog delivered using Burpy.
Memorial Day marks the unofficial beginning of Summer. Besides being a long weekend that provides everyone much-needed break to enjoy grilled meats, this day commemorates the soldiers who died while serving in the country’s armed forces. Here are some fun facts about this holiday-
- It wasn’t always called the Memorial Day: Originally this day was called Decoration Day as soldiers would get together to honor their fellow soldiers and decorate their graves with flowers, flags, and wreaths. It was only in 1967 that the day was officially titled as Memorial Day.
- Waterloo, New York is known as the birthplace of Memorial Day: The city began holding an annual community service on May 5, 1866. The practice later reached several cities, however, Waterloo won congressional recognition as the birthplace of Memorial Day.
- General John A. Logan is the founder of this day: He issued a decree that May 30 should become a nationwide day to commemorate for over 60,000 soldiers that were killed in the Civil War. People were encouraged to honor the deceased veterans by laying flowers on their graves on Memorial Day (earlier known as Decoration Day).
- One is required to observe a National Moment of Remembrance “legally”: Congress passed a law in December 2000 that requires Americans to pause at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day to observe silence in remembrance of the fallen soldiers
- Confederate Memorial Day: In addition to the national holiday, nine states officially set aside a day to honor those who died fighting for the Confederacy in the Civil War: Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Georgia.
Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone. Think we missed out on something? Share with us by commenting below. Need your kitchen essentials delivered from your favorite grocery store. Trust Burpy personal shoppers with the task. Shop now.
Winters are here and so is the seasonal produce. Here are some vegetables that should be part of your winter meals:
- Brussels Sprouts: This vegetable has amazing disease-fighting phytochemicals and is a rich source of Vitamin C and K. Native to Brussels, Belgium, this vegetable could once be enjoyed in every nook and corner of Europe. An excellent source of vitamin B6, omega fatty acids, copper and calcium, this vegetable is best enjoyed steamed.
- Avocados: Rich in fiber and iron, avocados are a great source of vitamins A, C and E. They contain ‘good fats’ including mono saturated fat which can reduce the risk of stroke or heart attack. They are delicious raw and cooked.
- Turnip Greens: A loaded source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, folate, copper, calcium, and dietary fiber this vegetable is a must in your winter diet. All the nutrients help fight rheumatoid arthritis, colorectal cancer, and atherosclerosis.
- Broccoli: A cruciferous vegetable, Broccoli contains glucosinolates and the carotenoid, lutein. Broccoli is a good source of phosphorous, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and E. Considered to be one of the healthiest foods in the world, it can be part of your salads, soups or main course.
- Cabbage: In ancient Greece and Rome, cabbage was considered a cure-all for a myriad of health conditions. Cabbage is known the world over for its remarkable anti-cancer properties, it is also a tremendous source of vitamins A and C.
Make sure you make the most of the winter produce, order all you need from Burpy.
We often go to the grocery store without an aim of picking up nutrition. Eat healthy food requires deliberate decisions and meal planning hence should be at the top of our lists. Here are some reasons why should make meal-planning a priority in your household:
- Enhance your nutrition: By taking the time to plan your meals, you can aim to have well- balanced and nutritious meals during the week. The practice will ensure you are in better control of what you’re feeding your body. A balanced meal plan will help you curb cravings and ensure a healthier body and mind.
- Make and stick to healthier choices: Have you been so hungry that you ended up eating a lot more than you anticipated? We have all been there. The reason why most people end up overeating and unhealthy is because we do not make conscious and informed decisions about what we feed our body. Meal planning is the most effective way to resolve this problem.
- Complement your fitness routine: If you are friends with anybody who is trying to lose weight, you are most likely aware of the fact that meal-planning tops the chart in their to-do lists. Meal planning can help you control your calorie intake in an effective manner.
- Save money and time: Meal planning will prevent you from throwing produce and ingredients lying in the fridge. Also, if you are ready with your grocery list, you are most likely to get out of the grocery store in less than 30 minutes. In the long run, meal planning will save you tons of money and time.
- Finally, avoid stress: We all know the stress of preparing meals last minute. You can bid goodbye to stress finally with meal planning.
Make meal planning an important part of your lifestyle today. Order your groceries from Burpy.
- What is online grocery shopping and what are the benefits?
Online grocery shopping is a fast growing concept wherein you can order your daily or weekly grocery items from a website and have it delivered to your door, at a minimum cost, often lower than the costs that you would usually incur in buying the groceries from the store yourself.
- Can I be sure of my money?
In most cases, you are making a safe online transaction with your credit card. This means that you are free to cancel your order and have your refunds at any time. Besides this, another important thing to remember is that many online grocery delivery services, like burpy.com in Austin, do not directly charge your card until the deliveries have been made.
- What is the biggest advantage of online grocery shopping?
Saving time and money. These two are possibly the biggest concerns for any urban consumer in today’s world, and as such, these two criteria are very easily met by online grocery delivery services. Besides these, there are also some other advantages like having a well trained shopper check your produce for you.
- What are the different kinds of online grocery deliveries that I can choose from?
There are several kinds, from supermarket chains selling their own products, to services like burpy.com in Texas, which offer your choice of grocery stores and have their highly trained personal shoppers pick up the groceries for you, making a same day delivery.
- What are the other advantages of online grocery shopping?
Saving on your trip to the store, if you just need to make a usual refill tip. Besides, having an expert do the shopping who will go above and beyond for maintaining customer services standards is a huge plus. You also get the advantage of having a shopper visit multiple stores which is another big benefit
- Is it more expensive to shop online for groceries?
It is, in fact, cheaper to shop for groceries online than most other methods. Many of these online stores, including the ones serving the Austin area are known for offering prices that are in fact, lower than shelf prices in many examples.
- Who are the major players in the US market right now?
Amazon, Burpy and Instacart are the major players in select cities right now. Burpy serves Houston, Austin, Dallas and San Antonio area, one of the largest coverages in Texas.
- Why did my neighbor advise me to go shopping online for my groceries instead?
This is probably because you have a busy schedule or have some problem with mobility. It is very easy to get someone who is a trained expert to do your mundane grocery shopping for you at none to very little extra cost.
- What if I am not satisfied with my online grocery shopping?
Most online grocery delivery services provide a customer friendly return and refund policy. You can always return the groceries that you don’t find suitable
10. I’ve heard that I can even get wholesale deal prices if I shop for groceries online. Is it true?
Yes, though you’d have to order in larger quantities. The benefits of savings are huge. Some stires like burpy.com have shoppers with ready Costco cards. You can add to your savings by choosing to shop from these warehouse-like retail formats.
11. Is this trend only prevalent in the US or is it growing in other countries, too?
Online grocery delivery services are growing with the advent of the internet in almost every country with a growing urban population of internet users.
12. What about my usual shopping list methods?
Its easier to just click on the items you want. Some sites even let you upload a scanned image of your shopping list. Just take a pic and upload.
13. Who shops for my groceries when I shop online?
Every grocery delivery company has trained shoppers that shop for only the freshest produce when you shop online.
It’s fast, easy, and convenient! The Fast Lane is the latest feature Burpy has to offer to make your shopping experience stress-free. In a few simple steps, this feature will find all items on your grocery list within a few minutes.
First, type the items you are searching for then click on “Shop for these items” at the bottom of the list.
The first item on your list will appear. You now have the opportunity to search through the various options Burpy offers for that specific product. To make the process even easier, you may sort through the products in terms of relevance or price.
Once you select the brand or product of your choosing, you may move on to any other products on your list by clicking “Next item” at the top of the page.
Your items will automatically be placed into your shopping cart and are waiting for checkout! The Fast Lane feature makes your shopping experience easy as 1,2,3. So sit back, relax, and let Burpy deliver your groceries straight from the store to your door!