Now that the kids are back-to-school after summer vacation we bet you are enjoying the much-needed time alone at home. However, if you are a mom that is always worried about her child’s nutrition when they are out of sight maybe you aren’t exactly thrilled and skeptical about the food choices they are making. In this case, we can help. The looming question is – Can children eat healthy, yet enjoy their favorite summer foods? The answer is – yes if they are eating the right combinations throughout the day. There is no reason for you to ban their favorite foods from your pantry. Follow our nutrition guide to make the most of the gorgeous Texas Summer.
- Healthy Rule 1: As the famous saying goes – “It starts with you”. Hence, be a good role model for your kids when it comes to nutrition. No matter how young, your kids notice the food choices you make and imitate them. So, don’t have a burger for breakfast while you expect your kids to drink a green smoothie. Endorse foods that you want your kids to eat and refrain from the foods that could prove to be detrimental for your and their health in the long run.
- Healthy Rule 2: There are parent’s that don’t introduce sugary treats to their kids until they are a certain age and then there are others who start early. Decide on which side do you want to be on. Sugar in an appropriate amount is healthy for kids overall health and development, so you don’t necessarily have to abstain them but do keep a check on how much sugar are they consuming on an everyday basis.
- Healthy Rule 3: We are all guilty of taking the easy way out when it comes to nutrition – For example, it’s easier to hand a cookie than make a smoothie for a snack. This approach might solve the immediate problem, but ultimately it will usually determine their future foods habits. Don’t get us wrong – you should never deprive your children of the fantastic food out there, but it’s important to know what to eat and when.
Three things your kids must eat this summer
- Greek Yogurt: We don’t need to recap how healthy yogurt is for the gut. If you haven’t already introduced this wonder of food in their diet, start this summer with a healthy smoothie or a shake.
- Water Melon: If you’re lucky your kids love watermelon but if you are like most of us your kids give you a hard time about eating fruits and most likely don’t come anywhere near melon. This fruit is a powerhouse of nutrition and water. Something your kids could use to beat the intense Texas heat.
- Cucumber: This humble produce can be included in the daily diet of your kids without much effort. Include it in salads, sides, green smoothies and shakes. One of the healthiest foods to eat all year round but specifically in summer due to its high-water content.
Think you need more information to make healthy choices for your kids this summer? Comment below to let us know.
Get the summer supplies for your home delivered using Burpy.