Hot dogs are a must have a staple at every summer BBQ. On the National Hot Dog day. Here are fun facts about Hotdogs!
American favorite – Hot Dogs
- Hot dogs are not just American favorites, they also originated in the US. Sausages themselves are from Germany, but it was an American genius who thought about putting them in a bun.
- The origin of the word hot dog still remains a mystery. There are several theories but not a clear one yet.
- Selling hot dogs at a baseball game dates back to 1880s. Hence, it’s no surprise that baseball fans are the biggest hot dog consumers.
- Mustard sauce is the most popular hot dog topping followed by ketchup.
- Hotdogs have traveled to space – NASA has approved hot dogs as a regular item on Apollo moon flights, Skylab missions, and space shuttle flights. Phew!!
- New Yorkers eat the most hot dogs, more than any other city in the country.
Have an interesting fact about hot dogs that we missed mentioning here. Share it with us.
Get the supplies you need to make a hot dog delivered using Burpy.
- Popcorn: The next time you are reaching out for that bag of potato chips, replace it with popcorn. It’s a light whole grain, anti-oxidant rich snack. Skip the butter to make it healthier.
- Avocado: Avocado has healthy written all over it. That explains why everyone is crazy about it. Did you know just half an avocado contains 7 g of fiber? They contain good monounsaturated fats that the body needs to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. A clear snacking winner we say.
- Greek Yogurt: This is a favorite amongst the nutritionists and health experts around the world and there is a pretty good reason for it. Made from a highly concentrated form of milk, Greek yogurt provides more calcium than a glass of milk. Amazing, isn’t it? High protein and low-fat properties make it a super fun yet guilt free snack.
- Hummus: The popularity of this Mediterranean and Middle Eastern favorite is unbeatable Made of Olive Oil, Chickpea, Garlic, Sea Salt, Lemon Juice and Tahini a basic hummus is loaded with nutrients – Protein, Fiber, Folate, Iron, Zinc and more. When the late night snack cravings kick in, it is probably a smarter choice to dip a carrot or cucumber in hummus.
- Dark Chocolate: It’s a proven fact that chocolates with higher content of cocoa are better and healthier. This established fact makes Dark chocolates a clear winner for snacking. They contain relatively less sugar and milk than regular milk chocolates. Also, cocoa polyphenols in dark chocolates are known to control cholesterol.
If you are able to replace your current snack choices with the recommended healthy choices, we promise you will never have to worry as much about your waistline. Always stick to the golden rule of consuming foods that are high in protein and low in carbs at night.
Want your snacks delivered at home? Check out Burpy to order now.
Cleaned up your grill to host a BBQ for your family and friends this Independence Day weekend? Hosting a BBQ requires a lot of meticulous planning. You want to ensure you are a perfect host catering to the palate of everyone invited. We are ith you on this one! Here are some grilling tips for this season –
- If you are a BBQ pro, you are probably aware of all the grilling methods available. There is always an ongoing debate regarding which serves better out of the two gas v/s charcoal. Our vote goes to the former because it does burn cleaner while emitting less carbon monoxide.
- Preheating is your friend! Always fire up the grill early. A preheated grill allows the meat to cook for easily and reduces the risk of food sticking. Also, it will burn off any remnants from the previous grilling, making the entire process more hygienic.
- Marinate your meats for at least 8 hours. Marinating infuses more flavors and prepares the meat to cook well. What this means is you get richer flavors in half the time. Get as creative as you can while choosing sauces for marinating.
- Fries are a BBQ staple. Ensure you don’t end up serving soggy fries. Believe us no one is a fan of that. We suggest investing a little more time on this one. Have variables available such as – sweet potato fries, fries with spice mix, etc.
- Follow the simple rule – “Know thy guest”. A sure way to be a good host is to know the likes and dislikes of your guests. You will be better prepared to meet the requirements of your guests quick and easy. Early preparation aids the task of grocery shopping – you will know exactly what meats (chicken, pork, beef, seafood) and vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, etc.) to choose along with the quantities.
- Beer is the king of any BBQ party! However, make cocktails an important element of your BBQ bash. Get creative with Sangria, martinis and more.
Get the supplies for your BBQ from Burpy. Comment below to let us know your favorite BBQ hack.