Memorial Day marks the unofficial beginning of Summer. Besides being a long weekend that provides everyone much-needed break to enjoy grilled meats, this day commemorates the soldiers who died while serving in the country’s armed forces. Here are some fun facts about this holiday-
Memorial Day Weekend
- It wasn’t always called the Memorial Day: Originally this day was called Decoration Day as soldiers would get together to honor their fellow soldiers and decorate their graves with flowers, flags, and wreaths. It was only in 1967 that the day was officially titled as Memorial Day.
- Waterloo, New York is known as the birthplace of Memorial Day: The city began holding an annual community service on May 5, 1866. The practice later reached several cities, however, Waterloo won congressional recognition as the birthplace of Memorial Day.
- General John A. Logan is the founder of this day: He issued a decree that May 30 should become a nationwide day to commemorate for over 60,000 soldiers that were killed in the Civil War. People were encouraged to honor the deceased veterans by laying flowers on their graves on Memorial Day (earlier known as Decoration Day).
- One is required to observe a National Moment of Remembrance “legally”: Congress passed a law in December 2000 that requires Americans to pause at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day to observe silence in remembrance of the fallen soldiers
- Confederate Memorial Day: In addition to the national holiday, nine states officially set aside a day to honor those who died fighting for the Confederacy in the Civil War: Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Georgia.
Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone. Think we missed out on something? Share with us by commenting below. Need your kitchen essentials delivered from your favorite grocery store. Trust Burpy personal shoppers with the task. Shop now.
Cereals are a breakfast staple in every household. Often our mornings begin with them and hence we rely a great deal on them to provide us with our daily nutritional requirements. It is, therefore, critical that we pay attention to what we are choosing for us and our family. The next time you are in the cereal aisle of your favorite store, ensure you are paying attention to the following:
- There are many flavors to try from in the cereal aisle, our top recommendation is a cereal that is labeled 100% whole grain. Stay away from cereals that say ‘made with whole grains’. Whole grains should always be at the top of the ingredient list, being one the ingredients won’t suffice.
- Look for a cereal that provides at least 5 grams of fiber per serving and 3 grams of protein per serving. Fiber helps improve digestion, in turn, keeping your skin healthy while protein helps you feel fuller than eating carbohydrates alone.
- Do not ignore the sugar limit in the cereal. A good rule is to keep it under 8 grams. Fruit based cereals most likely will have higher sugar content, but always pay attention to keep it under 10 grams.
- Stay clear from cereals that with added dried fruits, they often contain higher preservatives and have high sugar content.
- Pay close attention to the fat content of the cereal. Most cereals are low in fat, However, some often contain more fat due to the use of hydrogenated oils.
- Sodium level in the cereal should be ideally under 180 milligrams per serving.
- One of the most important factor in making a cereal healthy is the choice of milk, always try to use low-fat or non-fat milk. Whole milk and chocolate milk can be used once in a while but should be avoided for everyday consumption.
Have an interesting cereal fact that we missed? Share with us by commenting below.
Get your favorite cereal delivered at your doorstep using Burpy.
Mother’s Day is a really special day not just for moms but also for children. No child can deny that their mom deserves at least one day of pampering. However, sometimes it is nearly impossible to describe everything that makes our moms special. Try expressing your feelings through a greeting card – seems like something is missing, right?
A mother is the first teacher every child has. It starts with her teaching you how to speak, eat or walk. Unlike other teachers, this one never gives up. She will continue teaching you life lessons even after you have your own kids. She is persistent.
She is also the first friend you had. The one who stood by you even before the first day of school and the one who was there with you all through your awkward years. She was also there for you when you transitioned from school to university to the corporate world. She’s been your lifelong cheerleader.
She is the first stylist you had. She dressed you in the most fashionable clothes and made sure you had the cutest haircuts. She also photographed all your famous outfits which now contribute to all your Throwback Thursday pictures on Instagram!
She is also the first Masterchef who cooked for you! She was the genius who thought about serving vegetables hidden in mac & cheese. And let’s not forget how she used to always nail the cooking pressure test after work by serving you meals in flat 30 minutes!
Since Mother’s Day is right around the corner, why don’t you surprise your mom with something special? Something that not only pampers her but expresses your love and gratitude. Have her favorite grocery essentials delivered at her doorstep from a Burpy personal shopper!