The most beautiful holiday of the year – ‘Christmas’ is only a few days away! If you are wondering how to host the ultimate Christmas dinner, read on…
- Be a welcoming host: We can’t emphasize enough on this. Think about this – you get invited to a Christmas dinner. As soon as you enter you see the host distressed about how far behind schedule they are and how they still to get the bacon in the oven. We bet you will be immediately on your crisis control mode. Do you want this for your guest? We bet the answer is a loud – No! A well put together dinner demands the host be welcoming, relaxed and most importantly prepared. No matter how big or small the party is.
- Be prepared: We did touch upon this in our last tip. A well-prepared host can make even the most elaborate party look easy breezy. Take the time to prepare the menu, finding caterers or finding simple recipes if you are cooking yourself, understanding any special dietary requirements, what kind of beverages do the invitees prefer. Planning can tackle a majority of your stress.
- Stock Up: We all hate storing food we know will never be consumed but make sure you are stocking plenty of food and snack (if kids are invited) without going overboard. Extra liquor, salad, cheese is all an excellent place to start.
- Invest time in picking the right menu: Food is central to a good party. Take the time to plan a full course meal from starters to dessert. You don’t want to put things off last minute that will not be enjoyed by your guests. Most of all keep the menu refreshing yet straightforward and make it easy for yourself. You don’t want to spend the entire party in the kitchen. Co-ordination is the key; schedule everything beforehand.
- Consider Tableware and Crockery: Make your dinner table an oasis complete with scented candle, ideal centerpiece, silverware, and porcelain. Being a perfect host demands attention to detail.
- Entertainment: There may be conflicting views regarding this suggestion of ours. Some of you might feel organizing games for after dinner might take away from the important family time but remember Christmas is also about the family having fun together. So we recommend some fun activities post-Christmas dinner to up your host game.
Have a tip that should be part of our list? Tell us by commenting below.
Trust Burpy personal shoppers to deliver your groceries at your doorstep to host the perfect Christmas party.
Who doesn’t love maple syrup? Besides being an excellent pancake topping, maple syrup has become widely popular as a healthy sugar alternative. On the National Maple Syrup day here are little-known facts about your favorite maple syrup:
Pancake with Maple Syrup
- It takes 40 liters of sap to produce a liter of maple syrup: It’s a well-known fact that most trees yield anywhere between 35-55 liters of sap in a season and a tree takes close to 40 years before it’s matured enough to tap, hence, producing syrup is a time and labor-intensive process.
- Only three maple tree species are used for making syrup: Currently, there are 13 recognized species of maple tree (native to Canada). However, only three are utilized for maple production – sugar maples, blanch maple, and red maple.
- There are three federal categories of maple syrup: CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) and the provincial governments have established classification systems based on color and taste for commercially produced maple. Category 1 (extra light, light, and medium grades) and Category 2, (an amber grade) have maple flavors that are “typical” for their color grade. Category 3, which includes the dark grade and any other ungraded colors, also contains traces of caramel, plant bud or sap flavors.
- Quebec, Canada produces two-thirds of the world’s maple syrup: The Canadian province of Quebec is currently the largest producer maple syrup. It is responsible for about three-quarters of the world’s output; Canadian exports of maple syrup exceed 141 million USD per year. Vermont is the largest producer in the United States, generating about 5.5 percent of the global supply.
- Maple syrup as a sugar alternative: The sugar content of sap averages 2.5 percent; sugar content of maple syrup is at least 66 percent or more. The syrup offers many health benefits – A 60 ml portion of maple syrup contains 100 percent of your daily recommended allowance of manganese, as well as 37 percent of riboflavin, 18 percent of zinc, 7 percent of magnesium, and 5 percent of calcium and potassium
Know a fun fact about maple syrup that we missed mentioning here? Tell us by commenting below.
Ran out for maple syrup? Order now and receive same day delivery with Burpy.
Yes, we are approaching that time of the year when every meal will be rich, flavorful and hearty. Thanksgiving is right around the corner. What this also means is most likely you will ditch your year-long healthy diet in favor of turkey, pies, and wine. Don’t like the sound of that? If you are committed to maintaining a healthy diet, learn our hacks to stay on track during the festive season:
- One big meal a day: Yes, we know holidays are all about indulgence. However, concentrate on having one big meal in the day instead of three. Go easy on the other two meals. If you can’t, we strongly suggest portion control. Do not load up your plates and watch what you are eating carefully.
- Whisk up a veggie gravy: Gravy is a Thanksgiving essential, but it doesn’t have to be loaded with a ton of fat. Whisk up a veggie gravy, that’s still as tasty but without a ton of fat. We bet your favorite veggies can make a perfectly flavorful gravy that can be draped over mashed potatoes minus the saturated fat Plus, you will be thankful for eating the vegetables.
- Go Brown: The humble bread is part of every Thanksgiving feast, and so are all the calories that come with it. To cut down on all the calories from bread – go easy on the butter even better replace it with a healthy oil – coconut or olive and use whole grains.
- Grill Easy: Oil thick marinades are the most significant source of unnecessary calories when grilling. Avoid using them generously instead use zesty lemon or orange if you care to be experimental.
- “Cut the Mas”: Finally act on the old age suggestion of adding cauliflower to your potatoes. Doesn’t sound appetizing? You can’t be further than the truth. This small tip already has many fans, and you will be one too once you try it. Cauliflower has far lesser starch than potatoes, and it retains the unbeatable richness of mashed potatoes with a lighter texture and more minerals.
Have a great tip that should be here? Comment below to let us know.
Planning a big Thanksgiving feast? Leave the task of grocery shopping to Burpy personal shoppers.
At Burpy we love everything that says Halloween. This is one holiday that not only brings the family and friends together but inspires people to embrace the fun aspect of their personality and celebrate gluttony. Halloween is synonymous with candy. It is all about consuming special treats that mothers typically tend to keep away from the kids all year long – candies, chocolates, gummy worms, candy corn, pumpkins pies, and cupcakes.
Teal Pumpkin Project
In the recent times’ Pumpkins of a different color has grown in popularity exponentially If you are a trick or treater, we bet you have noticed them too. Ever came across a Teal Colored Pumpkin? Do you know what it means? FARE’s Teal Pumpkin Project is a nationwide effort to simply Halloween for kids with food allergies and makes it more inclusive. The incidence of food allergies has been on an upsurge, and according to FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education®), one in 13 children has a food allergy. Does that mean kids and parents who suffer food allergies need to stay away from this holiday? Absolutely not and the Teal Pumpkin project is an answer to this.
If you wish to participate in this effort – all you have to do is put a teal colored pumpkin or a sign on the porch to let trick-or-treaters know you are partaking in this initiative where you will be offering both non-food and candy treats. Simply ask the child to choose which treat would they prefer?
If you do decide to participate in this initiative here are ten non-food treats we are sure the young trick-or-treaters will love:
1. Halloween stickers or temporary tattoos
2. Mini cans of play-doh
3. Glow sticks or glow-in-the-dark jewelry
4. Halloween mini Beanie Babies
5. Small flashlights
6. Origami animals
7. Mini puzzles
8. Spider or insect rings
9. Coloring books (mini)
Have an interesting fact about the Teal Pumpkin Project that we missed mentioning?Share with us by commenting on this post.
Want to get ready for Halloween? Order the supplies now on Burpy to receive a delivery from your favorite grocery store the same day.
Every grocery shopper mostly breezes through the store trips. We remember the location of our favorite brands and the aisles in the grocery store. Although great, this does mean that we tend to overlook foods and products that might add value to our health and kitchen. Improving nutrition is a long-term goal, and if you are continually looking for ways to improve it, we are here to help:
- Kefir: Kefir is a fermented drink, conventionally made using cow’s or goat’s milk. The word ‘Kefir’ comes from the Turkish word keyif which means “feeling good.” The origins of the drink can be traced back to Eastern Europe and Southwest Asia. It is made by adding kefir ‘grains’ to the milk. The grains are actually cultures of yeast and lactic acid bacteria that look like cauliflower. The microorganism in kefir grains multiplies quickly in over few hours to the ferment the sugar in the milk, turning it into kefir. The grains are then removed, and the liquid is preserved in its purest form for consumption. The drink tastes sour like yogurts source the lactic acid bacteria turn the lactose in the milk into lactic acid. Kefir is the most powerful natural probiotic source, stronger than yogurt. Kefir contains over 30 strains of bacteria’s making it a rich source of probiotics. If you are looking at a natural source of probiotics Kefir is a great product to start with, what makes it even better is the fact that it is tolerated pretty well by lactose intolerant.
- Organic Spices: We never really pay much attention to the spices we pick. You might still be struggling with selecting the organic produce over the regular produce, but here is something you should consider the next time you are buying spices. Nearly every time we cook we end up using one or the other spice to enhance the flavor of the food. Herbs and spices are derived from plants and thus are exposed to bacteria, pests and others forms of contamination. Hence, investing in organic spices can ensure you are not consuming food that is tainted with pesticides and chemicals.
- High-fiber pasta or quinoa instead of white pasta: Pasta is the staple food of every household. It is delicious, easy to make and the best part is kids love it. If you are family enjoys pasta at home now and then, we suggest replacing the regular white pasta with high fiber pasta or if you are up for a challenge we recommend – quinoa. Your taste palette will require some ‘getting used to’ time but believe us you will be much happier with your nutritional choices in the future. Quinoa is an excellent alternative for the white wheat pasta, it is known as the mother of all grains and is available in three main types -white, red and black. A cup of quinoa contains 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. We think that’s a powerhouse of nutrition.
Think we missed mentioning something that should be a part of this list? Let us know by commenting below.
Need groceries picked from our neighborhood grocery store? Log on to Burpy to place an order right now.
We consistently talk about why is breakfast the most important meal of the day. According to Scientists each ounce of whole grain reduces the risk of death by 5% along with 9% reduction in heart-related issues.
Those are significant numbers and something you should be paying attention to if you strive to eat healthy on an everyday basis. It’s good to indulge in pancakes, waffles, and donuts once in a while but you statistically you will have a lot more energy if you eat whole grains when you start your day. Porridge is an excellent whole grain. We know it might not be on top of your favorite breakfast list, but we recommend including it in your diet plan. Here is why:
- Curbs Hunger Pangs: Ever realized on the days you skip breakfast you end up eating a lot more calories than a regular day? You don’t need breakfast to merely fill yourself up. This meal regulates your appetite for the day. Eating sugar-rich food in breakfast is more likely to slow you down than you can imagine. Porridge is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates and will help you feel fuller for longer. Sprinkle your favorite toppings – berries or nuts to make it even more delicious.
- High on Calcium: Nutritionists love porridge and continuously recommend it as part of diet plans. Know why? Not only is it a great source of fiber and vitamins but this whole grain can be easily described as the king of calcium. Give a boost to your bone strength with Porridge.
- Improved Immunity and Cardiovascular Health: Vitamin A helps your body fight free radicals and Porridge is rich in Vitamin A. Thus it improves your immune health. Porridge can vastly improve your cardiovascular health. It can beat high cholesterol and soak fat in the system which can give prevent heart-related issues to a great extent.
- Combat Blood Pressure: According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition whole grains help regulate blood pressure, in fact, according to them a diet that includes plenty of whole grains is equivalent to taking medication for High Blood pressure. Isn’t that amazing?
Now that you are aware of all the fantastic benefits of porridge we are confident you are going to include this miracle food in your diet. Need to order your groceries now, log on to Burpy to shop from your favorite grocery store now.
Every grocery shopper has stepped into Kroger at some point. The Kroger Company (Kroger) is United States second-largest general retailer (after Walmart) and one 20 largest companies in the country. Bernard Kroger founded the retailing giant in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Over the year Kroger has earned the reputation for being a retail store with the friendliest staff, technologically advanced apps and amazing rebates and coupons. Here are three reasons why we at Burpy love delivering from Kroger:
Private Selection™ and Simply Truth®: Every grocery store now offers it’s very own private labels. It’s not a novelty anymore. Some more than others but it will be rare not to find owned private brands by a retail store anymore. Kroger offers some of the best selection of owned brands including Big K®, Wholesome@Home™, Fresh Selections by Kroger®, Home Sense®, Comforts for Baby®, Private Selection™ and Simple Truth®. Both the latter brands enjoy wide popularity amongst grocery shoppers, but Simple Truth® has become more and more popular in the past couple of months owing to the extensive selection and being a budget-friendly organic brand. Private Selection is Kroger’s gourmet food line. They offer some of the most exceptional sauces, dressings, and marinades! If you haven’t already tried one, we urge you to do that as soon as possible. Believe us you won’t regret it
Kroger App: More and more shoppers now enjoy online grocery shopping. We can’t rave enough about the Kroger App. If you were too lazy to try it until now. You are missing out on some great deals. You can download the app and have the digital coupons and the weekly savings ads at your fingertips while grocery shopping. We bet you love savings as much as we do.
Kroger Loyalty Card: If you are someone who doesn’t sign up for loyalty programs because all it does is spam your inbox, we suggest you make an exception for this one. In addition to saving a great deal of money, you will get access to all the exclusive deals meant for Kroger loyalty card. When you’re checking out at the store, swipe or scan your loyalty card, and all your loaded manufacturer coupons will apply to your total. Kroger stores offer a digital free-item coupon that can be added to your loyalty card and redeemed within two weeks.
Friendly Staff: Kroger has one of the most welcoming staff we have ever come across. They are always helpful, easy to interact with and ready to go the extra mile for the customers. Believe us our shoppers deliver hundreds of orders every day in Texas and they are all praises for the Kroger team.
Can you think of more reasons to love Kroger? If yes, comment below to share with us.
Now that the kids are back-to-school after summer vacation we bet you are enjoying the much-needed time alone at home. However, if you are a mom that is always worried about her child’s nutrition when they are out of sight maybe you aren’t exactly thrilled and skeptical about the food choices they are making. In this case, we can help. The looming question is – Can children eat healthy, yet enjoy their favorite summer foods? The answer is – yes if they are eating the right combinations throughout the day. There is no reason for you to ban their favorite foods from your pantry. Follow our nutrition guide to make the most of the gorgeous Texas Summer.
- Healthy Rule 1: As the famous saying goes – “It starts with you”. Hence, be a good role model for your kids when it comes to nutrition. No matter how young, your kids notice the food choices you make and imitate them. So, don’t have a burger for breakfast while you expect your kids to drink a green smoothie. Endorse foods that you want your kids to eat and refrain from the foods that could prove to be detrimental for your and their health in the long run.
- Healthy Rule 2: There are parent’s that don’t introduce sugary treats to their kids until they are a certain age and then there are others who start early. Decide on which side do you want to be on. Sugar in an appropriate amount is healthy for kids overall health and development, so you don’t necessarily have to abstain them but do keep a check on how much sugar are they consuming on an everyday basis.
- Healthy Rule 3: We are all guilty of taking the easy way out when it comes to nutrition – For example, it’s easier to hand a cookie than make a smoothie for a snack. This approach might solve the immediate problem, but ultimately it will usually determine their future foods habits. Don’t get us wrong – you should never deprive your children of the fantastic food out there, but it’s important to know what to eat and when.
Three things your kids must eat this summer
- Greek Yogurt: We don’t need to recap how healthy yogurt is for the gut. If you haven’t already introduced this wonder of food in their diet, start this summer with a healthy smoothie or a shake.
- Water Melon: If you’re lucky your kids love watermelon but if you are like most of us your kids give you a hard time about eating fruits and most likely don’t come anywhere near melon. This fruit is a powerhouse of nutrition and water. Something your kids could use to beat the intense Texas heat.
- Cucumber: This humble produce can be included in the daily diet of your kids without much effort. Include it in salads, sides, green smoothies and shakes. One of the healthiest foods to eat all year round but specifically in summer due to its high-water content.
Think you need more information to make healthy choices for your kids this summer? Comment below to let us know.
Get the summer supplies for your home delivered using Burpy.
Summer is here and – It’s officially the season of iced tea.
Nothing comes close to this refreshing beverage in summer. Love it or not, the fact is it’s difficult not to relish it in the scorching Texas heat. If you aren’t already an iced tea fan, we encourage you to spend time trying to find your ‘flavor’ in the grocery aisles. We bet you will find something you that you like. June is official National Iced Tea month, and we have some facts to share with you:
- June 12 is the National Iced Tea month.
- In early 1700s Tea was a favorite ingredient in alcoholic punches. Some of the famous historical recipes that used tea are Regent’s Punch and South Asian liquor.
- Sweet tea’s popularity can be traced back to the late 1800s. The first non-alcoholic iced tea recipe originated in 1876.
- Iced tea’s gained significant popularity in the early 1900s, after visitors to the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis took a liking to its flavors.
- Tea can and should be paired with foods that bring out the most of its taste. Like wine, the flavor of tea is recognized worldwide to enhance the natural flavor of the food.
- Today, iced tea accounts for 84 percent of all the beverage consumed in the United States and is a $5.2 billion industry.
Thirsty reading about iced tea? Order your’s from Burpy.