Back to school means hustle and bustle, preparing the kids for their first day at school, and ensuring they have the right supplies for a successful start. What this also means is that they will need a big dose of nutrition as their activity level will surge and they will be spending a lot of time away from home.
Proper nutrition plays a critical role in the defining the health of your child. Besides – age and gender one must take into consideration the level of activity before meal planning. Here are some aspects you must take into consideration while planning your child’s diet-
- Fiber – keeps the digestive tract healthy, include plenty of whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Calcium – In addition to bone building and maintaining its health calcium helps blood clot, nerves send messages and muscles contract. It’s imperative to include good sources of calcium in the diet of kids growing up. Low fat dairy products, rhubarb, spinach, collard greens, and sardines are great sources of calcium.
- Vitamin E- The most potent anti oxidant, it helps protect cells against damage caused by free radicals. Nuts, seeds, wheat germ oil and vegetable oils are all a good source of Vitamin E.
- Organic Food : Switch to cleaner eating for your children. Introduce them to organic food if you haven’t already.
- Magnesium – This important mineral supports the immune system and helps maintain muscle and nerve function. Whole grains, nuts, pumpkin seeds, and white, black beans are an excellent source of magnesium.
- Vitamin D- This critical vitamin helps absorb calcium and promote bone growth. Sunshine, fortified dairy and juice, cod liver oil, salmon, tuna and mackerel are good sources to acquire vitamin D.
Think we missed out on something? Share it with us by commenting below.
If you are still waiting to snag your Back to School supplies, wait no more, order it using Burpy.
Hot dogs are a must have a staple at every summer BBQ. On the National Hot Dog day. Here are fun facts about Hotdogs!
American favorite – Hot Dogs
- Hot dogs are not just American favorites, they also originated in the US. Sausages themselves are from Germany, but it was an American genius who thought about putting them in a bun.
- The origin of the word hot dog still remains a mystery. There are several theories but not a clear one yet.
- Selling hot dogs at a baseball game dates back to 1880s. Hence, it’s no surprise that baseball fans are the biggest hot dog consumers.
- Mustard sauce is the most popular hot dog topping followed by ketchup.
- Hotdogs have traveled to space – NASA has approved hot dogs as a regular item on Apollo moon flights, Skylab missions, and space shuttle flights. Phew!!
- New Yorkers eat the most hot dogs, more than any other city in the country.
Have an interesting fact about hot dogs that we missed mentioning here. Share it with us.
Get the supplies you need to make a hot dog delivered using Burpy.
- Popcorn: The next time you are reaching out for that bag of potato chips, replace it with popcorn. It’s a light whole grain, anti-oxidant rich snack. Skip the butter to make it healthier.
- Avocado: Avocado has healthy written all over it. That explains why everyone is crazy about it. Did you know just half an avocado contains 7 g of fiber? They contain good monounsaturated fats that the body needs to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. A clear snacking winner we say.
- Greek Yogurt: This is a favorite amongst the nutritionists and health experts around the world and there is a pretty good reason for it. Made from a highly concentrated form of milk, Greek yogurt provides more calcium than a glass of milk. Amazing, isn’t it? High protein and low-fat properties make it a super fun yet guilt free snack.
- Hummus: The popularity of this Mediterranean and Middle Eastern favorite is unbeatable Made of Olive Oil, Chickpea, Garlic, Sea Salt, Lemon Juice and Tahini a basic hummus is loaded with nutrients – Protein, Fiber, Folate, Iron, Zinc and more. When the late night snack cravings kick in, it is probably a smarter choice to dip a carrot or cucumber in hummus.
- Dark Chocolate: It’s a proven fact that chocolates with higher content of cocoa are better and healthier. This established fact makes Dark chocolates a clear winner for snacking. They contain relatively less sugar and milk than regular milk chocolates. Also, cocoa polyphenols in dark chocolates are known to control cholesterol.
If you are able to replace your current snack choices with the recommended healthy choices, we promise you will never have to worry as much about your waistline. Always stick to the golden rule of consuming foods that are high in protein and low in carbs at night.
Want your snacks delivered at home? Check out Burpy to order now.
Cleaned up your grill to host a BBQ for your family and friends this Independence Day weekend? Hosting a BBQ requires a lot of meticulous planning. You want to ensure you are a perfect host catering to the palate of everyone invited. We are ith you on this one! Here are some grilling tips for this season –
- If you are a BBQ pro, you are probably aware of all the grilling methods available. There is always an ongoing debate regarding which serves better out of the two gas v/s charcoal. Our vote goes to the former because it does burn cleaner while emitting less carbon monoxide.
- Preheating is your friend! Always fire up the grill early. A preheated grill allows the meat to cook for easily and reduces the risk of food sticking. Also, it will burn off any remnants from the previous grilling, making the entire process more hygienic.
- Marinate your meats for at least 8 hours. Marinating infuses more flavors and prepares the meat to cook well. What this means is you get richer flavors in half the time. Get as creative as you can while choosing sauces for marinating.
- Fries are a BBQ staple. Ensure you don’t end up serving soggy fries. Believe us no one is a fan of that. We suggest investing a little more time on this one. Have variables available such as – sweet potato fries, fries with spice mix, etc.
- Follow the simple rule – “Know thy guest”. A sure way to be a good host is to know the likes and dislikes of your guests. You will be better prepared to meet the requirements of your guests quick and easy. Early preparation aids the task of grocery shopping – you will know exactly what meats (chicken, pork, beef, seafood) and vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, etc.) to choose along with the quantities.
- Beer is the king of any BBQ party! However, make cocktails an important element of your BBQ bash. Get creative with Sangria, martinis and more.
Get the supplies for your BBQ from Burpy. Comment below to let us know your favorite BBQ hack.
Produce is at this peak in summer! What this means is that you can eat your way to a better health easily during this season. So, load up your plates with the best this season has to offer –
- Summer Squash
- Sweet Peppers
- Stone Fruits
- Green Beans
Think our list is incomplete? Let us know by commenting below.
Order your summer produce and other grocery essentials from Burpy to receive doorstep delivery.
School’s out which means your children are already home. If like many others you are wondering how to keep them busy, here are some simple activities to try this summer vacation with your children-
- The Instagram Family: Well well well! Maybe you and your kids are already Instagram superstars. However, we do think it will be cute to have an online picture journal of your family’s summer adventure online. And what better than Instagram for this task. The filters are a sure way to up the glam. We say Lights, Camera, Instagram and memories
- Backyard barbecues and picnic: This is not new, you probably already have plans of doing this. Try going ahead with themes. They are the most inexpensive way of upgrading a plain barbecue or backyard picnic. Innovation is the key here – include game stations, DIY booths, etc.
- Experiment and record new recipes: Summer almost always brings the desire to try new recipes. Blame it on the festivity around us (we mean your kids). The next time you are experimenting in the kitchen include your kids in the task. Finally get around to baking the cookies or ice cream sandwich you have been holding off on. Your kids will be early learners and who knows maybe you will see them in Masterchef Junior soon.
- Go Biking/ Hiking: Nature has a strange way of inspiring everyone. Do you
remember the last time you willingly kept your iPad/laptop to bask in the sun or
simply sit in the park to read a book? We strongly recommend biking in nature or hiking with the family. Be close to nature and embrace it.
Need supplies for the backyard barbecue or picnic. Have them delivered from your favorite store with Burpy.
Memorial Day marks the unofficial beginning of Summer. Besides being a long weekend that provides everyone much-needed break to enjoy grilled meats, this day commemorates the soldiers who died while serving in the country’s armed forces. Here are some fun facts about this holiday-
Memorial Day Weekend
- It wasn’t always called the Memorial Day: Originally this day was called Decoration Day as soldiers would get together to honor their fellow soldiers and decorate their graves with flowers, flags, and wreaths. It was only in 1967 that the day was officially titled as Memorial Day.
- Waterloo, New York is known as the birthplace of Memorial Day: The city began holding an annual community service on May 5, 1866. The practice later reached several cities, however, Waterloo won congressional recognition as the birthplace of Memorial Day.
- General John A. Logan is the founder of this day: He issued a decree that May 30 should become a nationwide day to commemorate for over 60,000 soldiers that were killed in the Civil War. People were encouraged to honor the deceased veterans by laying flowers on their graves on Memorial Day (earlier known as Decoration Day).
- One is required to observe a National Moment of Remembrance “legally”: Congress passed a law in December 2000 that requires Americans to pause at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day to observe silence in remembrance of the fallen soldiers
- Confederate Memorial Day: In addition to the national holiday, nine states officially set aside a day to honor those who died fighting for the Confederacy in the Civil War: Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Georgia.
Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone. Think we missed out on something? Share with us by commenting below. Need your kitchen essentials delivered from your favorite grocery store. Trust Burpy personal shoppers with the task. Shop now.
Cereals are a breakfast staple in every household. Often our mornings begin with them and hence we rely a great deal on them to provide us with our daily nutritional requirements. It is, therefore, critical that we pay attention to what we are choosing for us and our family. The next time you are in the cereal aisle of your favorite store, ensure you are paying attention to the following:
- There are many flavors to try from in the cereal aisle, our top recommendation is a cereal that is labeled 100% whole grain. Stay away from cereals that say ‘made with whole grains’. Whole grains should always be at the top of the ingredient list, being one the ingredients won’t suffice.
- Look for a cereal that provides at least 5 grams of fiber per serving and 3 grams of protein per serving. Fiber helps improve digestion, in turn, keeping your skin healthy while protein helps you feel fuller than eating carbohydrates alone.
- Do not ignore the sugar limit in the cereal. A good rule is to keep it under 8 grams. Fruit based cereals most likely will have higher sugar content, but always pay attention to keep it under 10 grams.
- Stay clear from cereals that with added dried fruits, they often contain higher preservatives and have high sugar content.
- Pay close attention to the fat content of the cereal. Most cereals are low in fat, However, some often contain more fat due to the use of hydrogenated oils.
- Sodium level in the cereal should be ideally under 180 milligrams per serving.
- One of the most important factor in making a cereal healthy is the choice of milk, always try to use low-fat or non-fat milk. Whole milk and chocolate milk can be used once in a while but should be avoided for everyday consumption.
Have an interesting cereal fact that we missed? Share with us by commenting below.
Get your favorite cereal delivered at your doorstep using Burpy.
Mother’s Day is a really special day not just for moms but also for children. No child can deny that their mom deserves at least one day of pampering. However, sometimes it is nearly impossible to describe everything that makes our moms special. Try expressing your feelings through a greeting card – seems like something is missing, right?
A mother is the first teacher every child has. It starts with her teaching you how to speak, eat or walk. Unlike other teachers, this one never gives up. She will continue teaching you life lessons even after you have your own kids. She is persistent.
She is also the first friend you had. The one who stood by you even before the first day of school and the one who was there with you all through your awkward years. She was also there for you when you transitioned from school to university to the corporate world. She’s been your lifelong cheerleader.
She is the first stylist you had. She dressed you in the most fashionable clothes and made sure you had the cutest haircuts. She also photographed all your famous outfits which now contribute to all your Throwback Thursday pictures on Instagram!
She is also the first Masterchef who cooked for you! She was the genius who thought about serving vegetables hidden in mac & cheese. And let’s not forget how she used to always nail the cooking pressure test after work by serving you meals in flat 30 minutes!
Since Mother’s Day is right around the corner, why don’t you surprise your mom with something special? Something that not only pampers her but expresses your love and gratitude. Have her favorite grocery essentials delivered at her doorstep from a Burpy personal shopper!
Why shouldn’t you mess with the breakfast?
Everyone loves a wholesome breakfast. It’s considered to be the most important meal of the day. Now more than ever restaurants are extending their breakfast menus to entice new consumers every day.
Here’s why you shouldn’t mess with the most important meal of the day.
- Breakfast helps you burn calories. Yes, you read that right. Kick starting your day with the right foods will eliminate cravings. What that means is that you are less likely to consume unhealthy food throughout the day. According to researches people who consume breakfast daily eat 12% healthier than their counterparts.
- Fiber and protein are the most important factors in a healthy breakfast. The healthy breakfast should consist of whole grains, lean proteins, fruits and vegetables that can keep you energized for the day. Stay away from loading up on the carbs. Consider oats, cereals, juices etc.
- Breakfast provides cognitive functions. A healthy breakfast restores glucose levels, an essential needed for the body and brain to function aptly. Hence, it keeps diabetes at bay, aids concentration level and improves memory.
- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN) states people who ate breakfast are more physically more active during the morning than those who didn’t. Another reason why you should consume breakfast within first two hours of waking up.
- Studies prove people who eat healthy breakfast, make smarter eating choices throughout the day. They consumer more vitamins, minerals and fiber throughout the day.
Have a fun fact to share about breakfast with us? Don’t forget to comment below.