School’s out which means your children are already home. If like many others you are wondering how to keep them busy, here are some simple activities to try this summer vacation with your children-
- The Instagram Family: Well well well! Maybe you and your kids are already Instagram superstars. However, we do think it will be cute to have an online picture journal of your family’s summer adventure online. And what better than Instagram for this task. The filters are a sure way to up the glam. We say Lights, Camera, Instagram and memories
- Backyard barbecues and picnic: This is not new, you probably already have plans of doing this. Try going ahead with themes. They are the most inexpensive way of upgrading a plain barbecue or backyard picnic. Innovation is the key here – include game stations, DIY booths, etc.
- Experiment and record new recipes: Summer almost always brings the desire to try new recipes. Blame it on the festivity around us (we mean your kids). The next time you are experimenting in the kitchen include your kids in the task. Finally get around to baking the cookies or ice cream sandwich you have been holding off on. Your kids will be early learners and who knows maybe you will see them in Masterchef Junior soon.
- Go Biking/ Hiking: Nature has a strange way of inspiring everyone. Do you
remember the last time you willingly kept your iPad/laptop to bask in the sun or
simply sit in the park to read a book? We strongly recommend biking in nature or hiking with the family. Be close to nature and embrace it.
Need supplies for the backyard barbecue or picnic. Have them delivered from your favorite store with Burpy.
Memorial Day marks the unofficial beginning of Summer. Besides being a long weekend that provides everyone much-needed break to enjoy grilled meats, this day commemorates the soldiers who died while serving in the country’s armed forces. Here are some fun facts about this holiday-
Memorial Day Weekend
- It wasn’t always called the Memorial Day: Originally this day was called Decoration Day as soldiers would get together to honor their fellow soldiers and decorate their graves with flowers, flags, and wreaths. It was only in 1967 that the day was officially titled as Memorial Day.
- Waterloo, New York is known as the birthplace of Memorial Day: The city began holding an annual community service on May 5, 1866. The practice later reached several cities, however, Waterloo won congressional recognition as the birthplace of Memorial Day.
- General John A. Logan is the founder of this day: He issued a decree that May 30 should become a nationwide day to commemorate for over 60,000 soldiers that were killed in the Civil War. People were encouraged to honor the deceased veterans by laying flowers on their graves on Memorial Day (earlier known as Decoration Day).
- One is required to observe a National Moment of Remembrance “legally”: Congress passed a law in December 2000 that requires Americans to pause at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day to observe silence in remembrance of the fallen soldiers
- Confederate Memorial Day: In addition to the national holiday, nine states officially set aside a day to honor those who died fighting for the Confederacy in the Civil War: Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Georgia.
Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone. Think we missed out on something? Share with us by commenting below. Need your kitchen essentials delivered from your favorite grocery store. Trust Burpy personal shoppers with the task. Shop now.
Cereals are a breakfast staple in every household. Often our mornings begin with them and hence we rely a great deal on them to provide us with our daily nutritional requirements. It is, therefore, critical that we pay attention to what we are choosing for us and our family. The next time you are in the cereal aisle of your favorite store, ensure you are paying attention to the following:
- There are many flavors to try from in the cereal aisle, our top recommendation is a cereal that is labeled 100% whole grain. Stay away from cereals that say ‘made with whole grains’. Whole grains should always be at the top of the ingredient list, being one the ingredients won’t suffice.
- Look for a cereal that provides at least 5 grams of fiber per serving and 3 grams of protein per serving. Fiber helps improve digestion, in turn, keeping your skin healthy while protein helps you feel fuller than eating carbohydrates alone.
- Do not ignore the sugar limit in the cereal. A good rule is to keep it under 8 grams. Fruit based cereals most likely will have higher sugar content, but always pay attention to keep it under 10 grams.
- Stay clear from cereals that with added dried fruits, they often contain higher preservatives and have high sugar content.
- Pay close attention to the fat content of the cereal. Most cereals are low in fat, However, some often contain more fat due to the use of hydrogenated oils.
- Sodium level in the cereal should be ideally under 180 milligrams per serving.
- One of the most important factor in making a cereal healthy is the choice of milk, always try to use low-fat or non-fat milk. Whole milk and chocolate milk can be used once in a while but should be avoided for everyday consumption.
Have an interesting cereal fact that we missed? Share with us by commenting below.
Get your favorite cereal delivered at your doorstep using Burpy.
Mother’s Day is a really special day not just for moms but also for children. No child can deny that their mom deserves at least one day of pampering. However, sometimes it is nearly impossible to describe everything that makes our moms special. Try expressing your feelings through a greeting card – seems like something is missing, right?
A mother is the first teacher every child has. It starts with her teaching you how to speak, eat or walk. Unlike other teachers, this one never gives up. She will continue teaching you life lessons even after you have your own kids. She is persistent.
She is also the first friend you had. The one who stood by you even before the first day of school and the one who was there with you all through your awkward years. She was also there for you when you transitioned from school to university to the corporate world. She’s been your lifelong cheerleader.
She is the first stylist you had. She dressed you in the most fashionable clothes and made sure you had the cutest haircuts. She also photographed all your famous outfits which now contribute to all your Throwback Thursday pictures on Instagram!
She is also the first Masterchef who cooked for you! She was the genius who thought about serving vegetables hidden in mac & cheese. And let’s not forget how she used to always nail the cooking pressure test after work by serving you meals in flat 30 minutes!
Since Mother’s Day is right around the corner, why don’t you surprise your mom with something special? Something that not only pampers her but expresses your love and gratitude. Have her favorite grocery essentials delivered at her doorstep from a Burpy personal shopper!
Why shouldn’t you mess with the breakfast?
Everyone loves a wholesome breakfast. It’s considered to be the most important meal of the day. Now more than ever restaurants are extending their breakfast menus to entice new consumers every day.
Here’s why you shouldn’t mess with the most important meal of the day.
- Breakfast helps you burn calories. Yes, you read that right. Kick starting your day with the right foods will eliminate cravings. What that means is that you are less likely to consume unhealthy food throughout the day. According to researches people who consume breakfast daily eat 12% healthier than their counterparts.
- Fiber and protein are the most important factors in a healthy breakfast. The healthy breakfast should consist of whole grains, lean proteins, fruits and vegetables that can keep you energized for the day. Stay away from loading up on the carbs. Consider oats, cereals, juices etc.
- Breakfast provides cognitive functions. A healthy breakfast restores glucose levels, an essential needed for the body and brain to function aptly. Hence, it keeps diabetes at bay, aids concentration level and improves memory.
- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN) states people who ate breakfast are more physically more active during the morning than those who didn’t. Another reason why you should consume breakfast within first two hours of waking up.
- Studies prove people who eat healthy breakfast, make smarter eating choices throughout the day. They consumer more vitamins, minerals and fiber throughout the day.
Have a fun fact to share about breakfast with us? Don’t forget to comment below.
Unless you are superhuman, you like many of us look forward to the weekend. The definition of a weekend has changed for each of us. It is becoming less and less recreational and more and more about finally catching up with abandoned errands. However, this weekend we want you to make yourself a priority and upgrade it like a boss. Here are five things you can do to get started.
- Yoga: You probably already know about the benefits of exercising. We all make a resolution to eat healthily and exercise as the year begins but our resolve does not last as days go by. If going to the gym seems like a task, get active doing Yoga. All you need is a mat and small space in your home to get started or and believe us the benefits are many. If you are feeling particularly adventurous – make friends with nature and practice yoga outdoors.
- Picnic: Make memories, gather you family and finally have a picnic that’s been long pending on your family’s to-do list.
- Volunteer: No rolling eyes! We know weekend means finally time for yourself but there is something great about volunteering. It gives you a chance to meet new people while giving back to the community. It’s a win- win. Look for an animal rescue, adult tutoring or any other cause close to your heart. Get started.
- Make a delicious meal: Let’s face it, cooking is a chore we all get by every day. As time goes by we all spend less and less time thinking about how we want to cook and more and more time thinking about what we should cook quickly. Make a Big deal about one meal this weekend. Take your pick – breakfast, lunch or dinner but make a delicious meal this weekend.
- Skip the grocery store: Finally, skip going to the grocery store this weekend and try an online delivery service that can make your life easy and allow you to spend time with your family and loved ones. We recommend Burpy for obvious reasons.
Have an activity that can make someone’s weekend great. Don’t forget to share it by commenting below. Happy Weekend.
Today’s lifestyle takes a lot away from us. We are always busy, always running to the next thing. To make things easier for millennials, we have listed dinner kitchen hacks that sure to ease their life significantly –
- Meal planning – Make this a chore, like everything you do, this should be part of your weekly routine. If you decide what you want to eat at 7.00 pm in the evening chances are you will be driven by your need to satisfy your hunger and not for meeting health goals. Plan your meals on the weekends, before you commence grocery shopping.
- Meal preparation – On an average, a meal takes anywhere between 30-40 minutes to cook whereas the meal preparation takes an hour. Invest time preparing for your meals much ahead so that you don’t waste time every day on this.
- Baking is your friend - Always looks for recipes that require minimum supervision. Hence, baking is really your friend. Look for recipes that are simple and can be baked, they will be healthier and will utilize less oil.
- Go with theme nights - Have a pre-decided theme for each night – soup night, salad night, and pasta night. Believe us your life will be much easier.
- Plan for leftovers – Chances are you have leftover food during every meal. Sometimes you forget about it whereas other times you use the same food for lunch the next day. Have a plan for the leftover food unless you prefer throwing it.
- Stock your pantry right – Your pantry is your cooking heaven. Make sure you always stock it right, you don’t wish to be caught unarmed at 8.00 pm in the night. Refer to our pantry guide here.
Have a really good hack that has helped you over the years? Share it with us by commenting below.
Love bright colors and flavors? Spring will give you many reasons to rejoice then. Here are some of the best produce picks for spring
- Fava Beans
- Fiddlehead Ferns
- Morel Mushrooms
- Vidalia Onions
- Dandelion Greens
Think our list is incomplete? Don’t forget to mention the names we missed by commenting below. Get your produce delivered to your doorstep using Burpy.
Won’t it be lovely if our pantry was full of supplies that complemented our health and made meal preparation easy? Make sure you have everything on this list if your aim is to have a perfect pantry-
Begin with these easy 5 steps:
- Take stock of everything.
- Get rid of the lot that you do not see yourself eating in the coming weeks.
- Meal planning is essential
- Read up on the brand to ensure they go well with your requirements – current customer reviews can be a good starting point.
- Make a list before you begin the task of restocking your pantry.
- Sugar (granulated, brown)
- Vegetable Oil
- All- purpose flour
- Pasta (Take your pick)
- Rice (Long grain or brown)
- Dried bread crumbs
- Grains (bulgur, quinoa, and barley)
- Frozen Peas
- Frozen Corn
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Chicken Breast
- Pasta Sauce
- Stock (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
At Burpy, our personal shoppers can assist you in stocking your pantry from your favorite grocery store. Think we missed out on mentioning a pantry essential? Tell us by commenting below.
We are yet to meet a person who doesn’t appreciate delicious saucy PASTA. Our opinions might vary about the sauces but we unanimously love this famous Italian dish. It’s simple, healthy and delectable to say the least.
There are over 350 types of noodles out there with umpteen numbers of sauces. Hence, one can work with endless combinations to make this dish. Since every sauce is distinct it works differently with every noodle, therefore it’s important to understand how each noodle is different and why:
- Farfalle: Farfalle is the Italian word for butterfly, also known as the bow tie pasta; this noodle gets its unique name owing to its shape. A larger variation of farfalle is known as farfallone, while the miniature version is called farfalline. This noodle makes for a great cold pasta salad.
- Campanelle: Shaped like a cone with a ruffled edge, this noodle is sometimes referred to as gigli or riccioli. Campanelle is Italian for ‘littlebells’. Their unique shape makes them great for thick and creamy sauces.
- Pappardelle: Similar to fettuccine, this pasta noodle has a Tuscan origin and is broad and flat. This pasta noodle goes great with mouthwatering meat sauces.
- Bucatini: This pasta noodle looks a lot like spaghetti, but it is hollow on the inside. The name comes from Italian - buco, meaning “hole”. This noodle is particularly popular in Rome. This noodle tastes great in casseroles
- Capellini: Famously know as Angel Hair pasta, this is the thinnest pasta noodle that cooks fairly quickly. Popular in Italy, this light pasta noodles goes well in soups, with seafood or light sauces.
- Acini di Pepe: They are the most distinct looking pasta noodles and their name is Italian for “grains of pepper”. Due to their distinct shape, this pasta noodle works well in soups or cold salads.
All this talk has made us hungry for a pasta, what about you. Get your favorite pasta delivered using Burpy.